What, or who, is God?
This was the first topic of Christian systematic theology.
This doctrine attempted to answer the following questions:
- Can God be known at all? If so, how?
- Can God be described?
- Are there qualities or attributes, which God must possess in order to be God? If so, what are they?
Early Christian theologians identified the following as attributes of God:
Please select one of the attributes above to discuss.
In your initial posting, address the following questions:
- What is this attribute? How does it describe God?
- Are there any problems associated with this attribute?
- Which other attributes are compatible with this attribute? Why or why not?
After you have posted your initial response, please respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. Only respond to postings on an attribute that you did not discuss.
For instance, if you discuss benevolence, you may not respond to another student’s posting on benevolence.
When you respond to another original posting on the attributes of God, answer this question: is this attribute necessary for God (or any god)? Why or why not?