Review the Week 2 Lecture, “How do you D1?” For the purpose of this midterm assessment, assume that your trainers, Sarah and Caroline, are new to their jobs. Assume further that you are their direct supervisor. Describe how you would prepare Sarah and Caroline for their first assignment before they meet with the department manager, Lori Williams. Be certain to include in your paper a value chain, a logic map, and a process map for their first assignment. Also include learning transfer system inventory. Provide detailed explanations of each component of the maps and the inventory as they apply to the situation in the Week 2 Lecture.
Week 2 Lecture
Here is a quick real life example:
The Application Analyst (AA) department manager, Lori Williams, called the training department and asked to sit down and discuss the new product they were rolling out to all the company’s AAs, worldwide, and what training could be offered starting on August 11 and ongoing as they were looking to roll out Document Manager on October 2. This product would affect 2500 people.Lori Williams met with two trainers, Sarah Ward and Caroline Smith. Lori explained that all of the AAs were creating the same documentation over and over again, but had to save it to their own desktops and were unable to share the information because they didn’t have a document repository. Document Manager was going to fix this problem. All of the AAs could then share documentation. Document Manager too would have a template in it for the AAs to use. Document Manager would make the AA’s work much easier and quicker. The AAs were asked by upper management to be more effective with their documentation. Lori wanted to train all 2500 employees worldwide before Document Manger went out to the company on October 2.Sarah and Caroline asked Lori what the AAs were using now to type up their documentation and what would be different with Document Manager. Lori explained that now AAs used Word Perfect, however Document Manager would use Microsoft Word. Due to this huge change Lori believes every employee effected needs to come to a training class that should last at least two hours, if not longer. Since the training would have to be on a computer, the training departments computer classroom’s only hold 15 people per class. Lori also said that she would like to see each employee pass a test using Word and Document Manager before attaining access to the new programs. She went on to explain that she would also like to have online training for Document Manager and Word available for all employees via their intranet site. Lori also told Sarah and Caroline that upper management had not yet decided how to reach the global employees for this training. Times were tight and they didn’t want to pay for the employees to travel or for Sarah and Caroline to travel. Lori said that she trusted Sarah and Caroline would have the right answer for upper management.Lori also gave Sarah and Caroline some background on the AAs. She told them that for the most part the AA department’s abilities and familiarity with computers and software was exceptional. Lori had taken over that department only two years ago, but she explained how she weeded out the non-performing employees and replaced them with hard working, smart, efficient ones. Sarah and Caroline were excited about working with this audience.
From this quick example ask yourself the following questions:
- What organizational goal is driving this training?
- What will the benefit be?
- What is the skill gap?
- What competencies (knowledge, skills, or attitudes) will this program need?
- What evaluation will be used to measure the level of goal achievement?
- Who will be trained?
- What is the estimated class size?
- How many classes will there be and how long will this training last?
- What are the knowledge and skill prerequisites?
- What type of program is being proposed?
- What media, if any will be used in the training?
- What will happen if we do not deliver the training?
- What are the restrictions or limitations for delivering a program?
- What other methods may be used to reach the goal (include limitations and advantages)?
The requirements below must be met for your paper to be accepted and graded:
- Write between 1,500 – 2,000 words (approximately 4 – 6 pages) using Microsoft Word in APA style, see example below.
- Use font size 12 and 1” margins.
- Include cover page and reference page.
- At least 80% of your paper must be original content/writing.
- No more than 20% of your content/information may come from references.
- Use at least three references from outside the course material, one reference must be from EBSCOhost. Text book, lectures, and other materials in the course may be used, but are not counted toward the three reference requirement.
- Cite all reference material (data, dates, graphs, quotes, paraphrased words, values, etc.) in the paper and list on a reference page in APA style.