From class discussions and the reading material, answer only ONE question of the following questions. Write your answer in about 1500 words. Use double space, please!
- • Discuss “public sphere” as defined and analyzed by Habermas in Habermas, Jürgen. “The Public Sphere: An Encyclopedia Article.” New German Critique, no. 3 (Autumn, 1974): 49-55.
- • Discuss reasons of success and failure of the Industrial Workers’ Movement in US as presented in Poor People’s Movements: Why They Succeed; How They Fail, Frances Fox Piven and Richard A. Cloward, 96-180. New York: Vintage Books, 1979.
- • Discuss Nancy Fraser’s critique of Habermas’ concept of “public sphere” as explained in Fraser, Nancy. “Rethinking the Public Sphere: A Contribution to the Critique of Actually Existing Democracy.” Social Text, no. 25/26 (1990): 56-80.
- • Explain the classification of collectivities as presented in the classic work of Herbert Blumer in Blumer, Herbert. “Elementary Collective Groupings.” In Social Movements: Perspectives and Issues, edited by Steven M. Buechler and F. Kurt Cylke, Jr., 72-90. California: Mayfield Publishing Company, 1997.
- • Describe the main features of European Autonomous Movements as discussed in Katsiaficas, Georgy. “The (Anti-)Politics of Autonomy.” In The Subversion of Politics: European Autonomous Social Mobements and the Decolonization of Everyday Life, Georgy Katsiaficas, 277-353. Baltimore: AK Press, 2006.
Answer only ONE question of the following questions. Use all resources available to research your question, and use class discussions and the reading material to frame your answer. Write your answer in about 1000 words. Use double space, please!
- • Write a short essay on the events and riots in Ferguson in 2014, discussing the arguments on both sides. Explain what you think of this confrontation!
- • Explain why unionized workers are steadily decreasing in number in U.S.
- • Write a short essay reflecting on the debate around AZ SB 1062. Focus, please, on the competition among different social groups and social movements, and their use of different market dynamics, political participatory processes and cultural concepts to support their own positions.
- • Write a short essay on the material published on this website: http://www.textfiles.com/anarchy/
Rememper to cite every thing and it needs to be orginal no copypaste.