In between 750 to 1000 words (12 point font, double-spaced, MLA documentation style), discuss how a social construct is handled in Postmodern art. You should plan to find at least two specific Postmodern artworks to discuss. As with Research Assignment 1, I will be looking for how well you are able to set up the cultural context to make cultural connections.
1. You will approach this essay the same way you did the Week 3 Essay by identifying a Postmodern social construct (such as religious issues, economic issues, gender role issues for men and/or women, fear of technology, fear of isolation, the role of the “Other,” etc.).
2. Then, you’ll choose two of your favorite Postmodern art selections (such as a film, literature, t.v. show, music, theater, painting, sculpture, architecture, dance, comics, etc.) that you think best address or deal with your chosen social construct.
3. Next, you will put together a solid introduction that sets up the context for the Postmodern era and how your two art selections fit into it. Your last sentence will be your thesis statement, where you list your artworks and the Postmodern social construct you’ll be using to unpack them.
4. The body of your essay should discuss your thesis statement, being sure to cite in-text from our resources supporting evidence for your main ideas. Please use MLA documentation style.
5. Your conclusion should wrap up everything and repeat your thesis statement. And that’s it!
Postmodern social construct: Female gender rolesChosen Postmodern artwork #1: Roseanne (t.v. show)
Chosen Postmodern artwork #2:Madonna’s Like A Virgin music video
Thesis statement: Both Roseanne and Madonna illustrate the Postmodern social construct of female gender roles because they are strong women, as evidenced in the television show Roseanne and Madonna’s music video Like a Virgin.