Assignment 2: Discussion—Ethics and IPR
IPR protect drug companies from others making their products without the expense of investing in research and development. IPR also enable drug companies to recoup research and development (R&D) costs by charging more for a drug than the marginal cost of producing it.
One result of this strategy, however, is that unless a company can charge enough to cover the costs of R&D and production, it has no incentive to develop and produce a drug; no matter how important that drug may be to certain populations, for example, the poor in third-world countries.
- What ethical dilemmas does this situation pose for drug companies?
- Do other types of companies face similar dilemmas?
In addition to the readings assigned for Module 4, identify and read two to three other articles on professional ethics and the concept of intellectual property.
Share your observations, early conclusions, reflections, and questions in this discussion.
- By Monday, February 6, 2017, in a minimum of 400 words, post a summary of your findings to this Discussion Area. Support your work by citing sources according to APA standards.
- Through Wednesday, February 8, 2017, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts and respond by drawing comparisons between their findings and yours.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read your peers’ answers.
- Provide substantive comments by
- contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources;
- building on the remarks or questions of others; or
- sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
- Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
- Make sure your writing
- is clear, concise, and organized;
- demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and
- displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
****** VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Please provide 2 questions with answers in relating to the discussion. Please to make sure this is submitted with the assignment. ********