Southwest Airlines in 2016: Culture,Values, and Operating Practices Assignment Questions
1. Is there anything that you find particularly impressive about Southwest Airlines?
2. What are the key policies, procedures, operating practices, and core values underlying Southwest’s efforts to implement and execute its strategy?
3. What are the key elements of Southwest’s culture? What problems do you foresee that Gary Kelly has in sustaining the culture now that Herb Kelleher, the company’s long-time spiritual leader, has departed?
4. Which of Southwest’s strategy execution approaches and operating practices do you believe have been most crucial in accounting for the success that Southwest has enjoyed in executing its strategy? Are there any policies, procedures, and operating approaches at Southwest that you disapprove of or that are not working well?
5. How well has Southwest Airlines performed for its shareholders over the past several decades? Please employ liquidity, profit and solvency ratios to assess their overall performance.
6. What strategic issues and problems do Gary Kelly and Southwest executives need to address and what recommendations would you make to Gary Kelly and Southwest executives as the company heads towards the end of 2017 and beyond