Organized crime has influenced individuals who hold political positions at local, state, and federal levels of the government. The purpose has been for organized crime groups to be able to function without outside interference.
This assignment addresses attempts by organized crime groups to influence politicians. Successful completion of this assignment will demonstrate that you understand how such groups might affect elected officials.
You are a member of the governor’s task force against corruption and have been assigned to the town of Centervale. Informants have shared with you that local politicians are being influenced by organized crime groups.
Using the Argosy University online library, find at least two journal articles that document how organized crime is likely to influence political leaders. One article should focus on political leaders in the United States at the local, state, or federal level. The other article should focus on political leaders in another country or countries.
By the due date assigned, in a minimum of 250 words, post to the Discussion Area your responses to the following:
- Summarize what you learned from your research.
- Compare the relationship between organized crime groups and politicians in other countries with that in the United States.
- From what you have read so far, explain whether there appears to be a strong association between organized crime and politics in the United States.
- Discuss a few reasons politicians may be easily influenced by organized crime.
- Discuss some benefits of conducting research on how organized crime may influence politicians.