Answer three out of the six questions presented below. Each answer should be a minimum of 250 words, single spaced, and submitted. Please refer to the Essay Exam Rubric for guidelines and expectations.
- Was Reconstruction a success or a failure? Or was it something in between? In your response, consider land policy, key legislation during presidential and radical Reconstruction, Southern politics, racial and political violence, and Northern “fatigue” with Reconstruction. Be sure to make clear what you mean by success and failure.
- Describe how the Industrial Revolution created new forms of freedom for some workers while restricting some freedoms for others. How did industrialization affect all workers? Be careful not to generalize.
- Chronicle the process that developed in the South of chipping away the freedoms granted to blacks during Reconstruction. Give careful consideration to how the Civil War was remembered by white America. By 1900, what conditions did African Americans in the South face? How did they respond to these conditions?
- What does the term “Gilded Age” mean? In what sense is Mark Twain’s term a criticism of the age?
- Explain the controversy that the war in the Philippines and the annexation of the Philippines triggered over the relationship between political democracy, race, and American citizenship. Be sure to include an analysis of the two documents found in Voices of Freedom (Josiah Strong and Emilio Aguinaldo).
- Compare the Populist and Progressive movements. Critically analyze why the Progressive movement seemed to have more success. What were the limitations of the Populist movement?