In the Introduction to Part 6 of your primary text, Gregory Brunelle, the deputy director of operations of New York State Office of Emergency Management, states,
Most, if not all, of the students contemplating entering the field of emergency management, as well as those joining the ranks of local, state, or federal emergency management organization, are drawn to their positions by a desire to help their fellow citizens during the most calamitous of times. Frequently these individuals cite the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, or other major disasters such as Hurricane Katrina, as motivation for their interest. (Kamien, 2012)
For this assignment, review emergency management job postings on USA Jobs. (Link Below)
Then, identify the same or equivalent positon on a state, local government website, or a private sector position (i.e., local utility, or major corporation).
For this assignment
- Compare requirements and benefits about the job—for example the pay, education requirements, experience required to be eligible for the job. Compare the long term prospects of a career.
- Discuss personal preferences about the positions, and prioritize positions based on personal preferences.
- Explain how your experience and previous positions can set you up for success for one of these positions. Discuss the requirements that you do not meet due to lack of experience and your strategy to mitigate this.
The Careers in Emergency Management assignment
- Must be two to three pages in length (excluding the title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style.
- Must include a cover page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must include an introductory paragraph with a succinct thesis statement. The thesis must be in both the introduction and the conclusion.
- Must use at least two reliable sources, such as government and corporate websites, in addition to the course text.
- Must document all sources in APA style.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style.