Assignment 3: Information Governance
Due Week 10
Using the Internet or University databases, research health care organizations / providers that have recently had a significant information technology failure, and complete this assignment.
Write a seven to eight (7-8) page paper in which you:
- Determine the key factors contributing to the failure in question. Next, analyze how the failure impacted both the organization’s operations and patient information protection and privacy.
- Analyze the leadership team’s reaction to the failure, and indicate whether the leadership took sufficient measures to deal with various stakeholder groups impacted by the failure. Provide support for the rationale.
- Take a position on whether the health care provider that you identified should either develop a custom application or select a proprietary system. Provide support for the rationale.
- Recommend at least three (3) best practices that any organization could adopt in order to avoid such a failure in the future. Provide support for the recommendation.
- Suggest how health care leaders can use project metrics and portfolio management to ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness. Provide specific examples to support the response.
- Analyze a government intervention into health care businesses, meant to ensure that health care and patient information is secure and thus to minimize information breaches and technology failures. Argue for or against such intervention. Support the position.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the systems development life cycle as it pertains to both the development of a custom application and the selection of proprietary systems.
- Assess the need for and determine the methods of accomplishing the security of information systems.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in health information systems.
- Write clearly and concisely about health information systems using proper writing mechanics.